Motorized Bike Forum
Welcome to MotorizedBikeForum.com!

Feel free to log in, register, or just browse around and see what we're all about here at MxB Forum.

If you got help here, REGISTER and help the next guy!

If that's not enough motivation, the ads will go away when you are logged in!

If that doesn't do it for you - registering will allow you to search the forum!

Ride safe and have fun!

_DuctTapedGoat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Motorized Bike Forum
Welcome to MotorizedBikeForum.com!

Feel free to log in, register, or just browse around and see what we're all about here at MxB Forum.

If you got help here, REGISTER and help the next guy!

If that's not enough motivation, the ads will go away when you are logged in!

If that doesn't do it for you - registering will allow you to search the forum!

Ride safe and have fun!

_DuctTapedGoat
Motorized Bike Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dual V-Brakes

2 posters

Go down

Dual V-Brakes Empty Dual V-Brakes

Post by cafe biker Fri Mar 01 2013, 05:53

I thought some of the upgrades I have been doing to the cafe racer might prove interesting to the people who read these forums. I had been planning on changing from a 26" front wheel to 24" for some time but had been putting it off until I could find a suitable tyre. After much research I finally found one that will work. I had previously modified the forks by shortening the springs and also removing about 2cm of metal from beneath the fork head to shift the weight balance further to the front. This has created a far better handling bike but the unfortunate consequence of this is much reduced suspension travel. This created a number of problems from bottoming due to coil bind and I knew I had to change it. Once I obtained the correct length springs to work with 26" length triple tree top and 24" bottoms I could finally get the clearance I needed to create a dual V-brake fork that still retains its full suspension travel. I have essentially cut the brake mount horseshoe off another set of forks and welded it to the back. It took quite a bit of stuffing around to find the right way to clamp it together to so the clamp pressure would not disort the alignment but I managed to get it right in the end. I took some pictures after I reassembled it to check it all for clearance. I am now in the process of painting the finished product. When it is all finished all three brakes will be operated by a single lever thanks to a dual cable lever with a split cable operating both front calipers. So now I will have a bike that stops and can go around corners safely I can start on the real fun, getting serious about creating more horsepower! Is anyone out there aware of someone who has done this before? Cafe Biker Go to my gallery to see the pics as I just cannot seem to get them to turn up here.

Last edited by cafe biker on Fri Mar 01 2013, 06:04; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : no pictures! again!)

cafe biker

Birthday : 1976-09-06

Back to top Go down

Dual V-Brakes Empty Re: Dual V-Brakes

Post by Fabian Tue Mar 05 2013, 02:55

Messing around with V-brakes is a complete waste of time, compared to the safety and reliability and stopping power of disk brakes.

Fabian
MxBF Power User

Birthday : 1970-09-03

Back to top Go down

Dual V-Brakes Empty Hmmmmmmm.

Post by cafe biker Wed Mar 06 2013, 02:02

Been there, tried that as well (see gallery) but was not at all impressed with the results. But I was using CABLE disc brakes not hydraulic. See the problem is no forks that accept HYDRAULIC brakes will ever fit the bike. Yeah I could just buy a bike with them on it and end up with a bike JUST like everybody else has. BORING! Not to mention VERY expensive. But really I should ask myself here just why it is I feel the need to justify any of this? When I should really get to what I really want to say. BORING is the word for this forum. People join up, make one post and never are heard from again.(Note particularly Jaguar 57) Weeks go by without a single contribution from anybody. It is really easy to post a picture in your personal gallery but exceptionally difficult to post a picture where anyone can see it. And when anybody tries to do something to actually stimulate a conversation topic the moderator simply tells that person they're wasting their time. And that moderator is absolutely correct. But not just with dual V-Brakes or customising an illegal toy. No the biggest waste of time was getting involved HERE on this site! Run far and run fast people. The moderator does not want you here! You know I thought you were not a bad bloke with something more intelligent to say than the garbage on other forums Fabian but I was wrong. But i actually feel sorry for you. You come across like someone with aspergers syndrome and that deserves compassion not derision. I hope you enjoy your empty forum because you have chased another member away. Are there any left any more? I sincerely hope you can find the help you need some day. Goodbye, Cafe Biker

cafe biker

Birthday : 1976-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabian Wed Mar 06 2013, 02:43

If you have tried disk brakes and found them to be a poor option then you obviously have no idea about the setup options.

To say that mechanical/cable disk brakes are not a prime option is complete lunacy and to say that they are an expensive option is also complete lunacy, for Avid BB7 (mechanical) calipers would have to be right up there with hydraulic disk brakes.
A standard 6" front disk rotor is acceptable, in a non motorized application but must be changed to at least an 8" item and preferably a Hayes 9" rotor in a motorized application, which provides excellent and consistent stopping power, even in the wet, which is where (v-style or cantilever) rim brakes fail miserably, and are simply dangerous on a motorized bicycle in such conditions.

Conversation is welcomed if the conversation is sensible and rational and based on facts and contains technical details and high resolution photos.

What makes this forum so good is that it's not well known, except to those who want concise information; who visit the site for their research purposes.

Feel free to move on if all you seek to do is make conversation just for the sake of making noise.

Fabian
MxBF Power User

Birthday : 1970-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down