Motorized Bike Forum
Welcome to MotorizedBikeForum.com!

Feel free to log in, register, or just browse around and see what we're all about here at MxB Forum.

If you got help here, REGISTER and help the next guy!

If that's not enough motivation, the ads will go away when you are logged in!

If that doesn't do it for you - registering will allow you to search the forum!

Ride safe and have fun!

_DuctTapedGoat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Motorized Bike Forum
Welcome to MotorizedBikeForum.com!

Feel free to log in, register, or just browse around and see what we're all about here at MxB Forum.

If you got help here, REGISTER and help the next guy!

If that's not enough motivation, the ads will go away when you are logged in!

If that doesn't do it for you - registering will allow you to search the forum!

Ride safe and have fun!

_DuctTapedGoat
Motorized Bike Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jaguar CDI and Coil

+2
DuctTapedGoat
Fabian
6 posters

Go down

Jaguar CDI and Coil Empty Jaguar CDI and Coil

Post by Fabian Wed Jun 22 2011, 20:55

Hi Goat

I'm very interested to find out the schematics of the Jaguar CDI & Coil.
Has anyone on this forum used this kit and evaluated it's performance, as i'm very close to making an impulse purchase, not just for myself but for my next door neighbour who is also very close to making an impulse purchase after i showed him the literature.

Fabian

Fabian
MxBF Power User

Birthday : 1970-09-03

Back to top Go down

Jaguar CDI and Coil Empty Re: Jaguar CDI and Coil

Post by DuctTapedGoat Tue Jun 28 2011, 11:38

I should be buying one soon, but only to do a full teardown of.
DuctTapedGoat
DuctTapedGoat
Admin

Birthday : 1986-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabian Wed Jan 18 2012, 07:27

Recently i decided to purchase the jaguar CDI and coil and so far (approx 500 kilometers of trip distance) it's worked perfectly.
The installation was fairly simple, though i have kept the original CDI and sparkplug lead on the bike frame as a backup, should the Jaguar unit fail in service.

The one serious issue i have had with the Jaguar setup is the new "A2" jumper.
I've emailed the gentleman who manufactures the CDI and asked for a simple explanation of exactly where the new "A2" jumper places the new ignition curve.

In the end he was quite rude as his constant refusal to specify exactly where the new ignition cure was placed, frustrated the heck out of me, because it has the potential of placing an ignition curve in between the two upper level curves or in between the two lower level curves or placing the ignition curve exactly in the middle of the two lower curves and the two upper curves.

There is also no explanation on his website of what state the "A2" jumper is active: jumper connected or jumper disconnected, as to how the switch affects the curve, or curves.

In the end, i got the impression that the guy does not know how the thing works, for he conveyed the impression that he had no idea about this particular part of the electronic circuit.

As things stand, i am running what i believe to be the upper most ignition curve, with my (completely standard) engine, as it responds best to this setting: all the jumpers removed.

Fabian

Fabian
MxBF Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DuctTapedGoat Fri Mar 09 2012, 06:30

Right on Fabian!

How would you rate that Jaguar CDI on a 1 - 10 scale? I've heard good things about it from those who have dropped the cash to get it, but I've always had the feeling it's a bit more hyped up than it is. As well.... any chance we can get some pics of the internals and the circuit board? Very Happy I sure don't wanna push ya if you don't feel comfortable doing it, but I ask everyone I know who gets one. Smile
DuctTapedGoat
DuctTapedGoat
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabian Fri Mar 09 2012, 07:32

Hi Goat

Ok, i'll try to give you my experiences with the Jaguar CDI Coil: so far it's been 100% reliable; covering around 1,200 kilometers (800 miles) including some time riding in the rain.

In a way it appears to be more hyped up than reports out there on the net, but those singing praises of the Jaguar CDI seem to have modified engines; some modified more than others.
My engine is completely standard; even the muffler and from experience the Jaguar CDI doesn't produce any more power than a standard CDI system and to be honest it doesn't appear to make the engine run any smoother or cooler.

The noticeable differences i can pass comment on are the Jaguar CDI appears to have a level of ignition retard even at the most advanced jumper setting, compared to the standard CDI; presenting a quasi rev limiting feature that slowly kicks in after 5,000 rpm.
With the ignition set for the greatest retard curve (all jumpers placed on the pins) the engine does not want to rev past 4,800 rpm.
For very high compression engines i am positive that having a level of selectable ignition retard will give good tuning options, but on a standard engine you would be hard pressed to feel any power increase, even at the most advanced setting.

The main reason why i bought the Jaguar CDI was to prevent detonation induced bottom end connecting rod bearing failure, caused by the ever increasing advance curve built into the standard CDI; seemingly destroying needle roller bearings with reckless abandon, and in my case a total of 7 engines suffering form big end connecting rod failure at a surprisingly consistent 700 kilometers.
I can say that the Jaguar system seems to be more gentle and less willing to keep on revving past 5,500 rpm on a completely standard engine, so in effect it acts like a rev limiter, encouraging you to change gears at around 4,800 to 5,200 rpm with no loss in power over a standard CDI at those revs.
The modified ignition curve must be having a positive effect as there isn't any sign of bearing problems; so far with 1,200 kilometers on the clock.

I'll pull the Jaguar CDI off the bike and take a nice high resolution photo of the circuit board and would be very happy if you could reverse engineer the electronics and find out exactly where the "A2" jumper places the new ignition curve, or the manifestations of ignition curves combined with "Jumper A" and "Jumper B"
The guy who designed the CDI was totally unhelpful, bordering on arrogant with his dismissal of my questions with regards to how the "A2" Jumper interacts with the "A" and "B" Jumpers.

I would have preferred to see a trim pot for low rpm, mid rpm and high rpm or better still a PC interface so you could visually see and set ignition curves and flash them to an EPROM chip.
Maybe someone on here could design such a CDI which i am sure would have a market for the tech-savvy enthusiasts amongst us.

Fabian

Last edited by Fabian on Mon May 07 2012, 08:36; edited 8 times in total

Fabian
MxBF Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DuctTapedGoat Fri Mar 09 2012, 08:25

Right on - and does the board actually remove from the casing to see the underside of the board or is it glued down tight and unremovable?

Rohmell would really be the only guy I know of who may be able to help in EPROM programming from a PC interface, and if not that, then at least he would be able to point us in the right direction. As far as knowing what timing curve will be ended up with, I understand a lot of it, but it takes my mind a long time to process all the components' values as to how it will affect the end result as far as dialing in the variables, but I can figure out pretty quick how to do it via physical modification. Send him a message here, and if he doesn't get back to ya in a few days, I can message him for ya on the MotorBicycling.com forum. I know he's been interested in seeing what makes those JagCDI's tick as well.

It really shouldn't be difficult to perform the physical mods you mention though, a couple 2 way or 3 way switches and a couple pots should give you a full range of control on the fly, and really, to go with a few 3 way switches without pots between all the headers would give some pretty great options, though as you said - it would depend on the motors modifications as to how well that would work.
DuctTapedGoat
DuctTapedGoat
Admin

Back to top Go down

Jaguar CDI and Coil Empty Jaguar CDI

Post by skinnywheelz Sun Apr 29 2012, 22:26

I have been using the jag cdi purchased from jnm and i tell you the difference is night and day from the stock. Clueless when it comes to the technical stuff i just know that it has
Reduced the vibration
added around 5 mph to the top speed which is now around 45 mph
throttle response is immediate
holds 30 up hill
I love it ...
skinnywheelz
skinnywheelz

Birthday : 1982-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Perthbiker Thu May 24 2012, 02:49

45mph! What motor and gearing are you running as with the standard 44-tooth sprocket and 26" wheel, you'll be looking at ~10,000rpm.

Perthbiker

Birthday : 1966-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabian Thu Aug 09 2012, 03:08

This link shows what's inside the box - good hi-res photos:

https://motorizedbikeforum.forumotion.com/t301-jaguar-cdi

Fabian
MxBF Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by jaikai Sat Aug 11 2012, 00:47

G`day Fabian. Would it be possible to build one of these at home?

Very little electronic experience meself but I can solder heheh...

The values and names of the parts be my major hurdle, everything else "should" fit into place with a sparky mate who liikes to pass on a bit of knowledge.

JAIKAI

jaikai

Birthday : 1970-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabian Sat Aug 11 2012, 01:39

Hi Jaikai

I am certain you could build one of these CDI kits at home, but for the price of $75 which includes a proper motorcycle coil, the Jaguar CDI is a bargain, so i'm not sure you would save much in building the circuit board yourself, after you've purchased the components and then factored your time into the equation,

however

If you wanted to build a more sophisticated version, like i've described in my post, then the game changes as it becomes a completely new system with re-engineered electronics.

This is my personal goal: to re-engineer the Jaguar CDI so i can have a digital display of the ignition curve and move individual parts of the curve up or down using an external method of changing the timing, with either weather proof dials or buttons or a USB port to allow a laptop to plug into the CDI.

My goal requires a fair bit of messing around but the results would be worth it.

Fabian
MxBF Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabian Wed Sep 12 2012, 07:35

*** Here is what is inside the Jaguar CDI

https://motorizedbikeforum.forumotion.com/t301-jaguar-cdi

Fabian
MxBF Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by wakhoma Wed May 15 2013, 13:36

i m noob here, which ignition coil can i use with this Jaguar cdi? because I don want to use stock jaguar ignition coil?. How many ohms which ignition coil to be suited with this cdi. Could you recommend? Thanks

wakhoma

Birthday : 1968-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabian Wed May 15 2013, 16:20

Just purchase the Jaguar CDI kit. It comes with a good quality ignition coil.

Seems foolish to use a different type of coil when the coil supplied with the kit was selected for it's reliability and spark output.

Fabian
MxBF Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down