Motorized Bike Forum
Welcome to MotorizedBikeForum.com!

Feel free to log in, register, or just browse around and see what we're all about here at MxB Forum.

If you got help here, REGISTER and help the next guy!

If that's not enough motivation, the ads will go away when you are logged in!

If that doesn't do it for you - registering will allow you to search the forum!

Ride safe and have fun!

_DuctTapedGoat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Motorized Bike Forum
Welcome to MotorizedBikeForum.com!

Feel free to log in, register, or just browse around and see what we're all about here at MxB Forum.

If you got help here, REGISTER and help the next guy!

If that's not enough motivation, the ads will go away when you are logged in!

If that doesn't do it for you - registering will allow you to search the forum!

Ride safe and have fun!

_DuctTapedGoat
Motorized Bike Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bicycle Trailer - BoB IBEX

3 posters

Go down

Bicycle Trailer - BoB IBEX Empty Bicycle Trailer - BoB IBEX

Post by Fabian Sun Mar 25 2012, 05:05

After many kilometers of travel, i've decided to purchase a uni-wheel trailer as they are much better suited to narrow and rocky tracks, and perform as well as a conventional trailer on all other surfaces.

After doing a lot of research, the BoB IBEX 28 kept coming up as the best option for heavy duty touring over punishing conditions.
Having the trailer mounted to a spring and damper suspension system is going to make life much easier for the rear wheel; the trailer and it's contents, as i can attest to from previous experience with a conventional rigid axle setup.
The added benefit of the IBEX 28 is that it will fit a 29'er bike, if you ever decide to go 29 inch, yet still works perfectly well on a 26 inch bike.

My Bob IBEX 28 trailer was purchased through Jenson USA and they price matched the "$347.65 with Drysac bag" from the following website:

http://www.dmartstores.com/bobib28plsut.html

Considering Jenson USA are a well known and regarded company, the price match took the headache out of dealing with some unknown website, especially as the dmartstores free shipping policy does not apply to me; living in Australia.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Bob-Ibex-28-Plus-Suspension-Trailer

Simply send the dmartstores web link to Jenson USA and they will provide a price match along with a discount code to be entered into their webpage when making your purchase.

A photo review of the trailer in action can be seen here:

https://motorizedbikeforum.forumotion.com/t208-hill-climb-with-bob-ibex-trailer

1) Bicycle Trailer - BoB IBEX Img_1010

2) Bicycle Trailer - BoB IBEX Suspen10

Fabian
MxBF Power User

Birthday : 1970-09-03

Back to top Go down

Bicycle Trailer - BoB IBEX Empty Re: Bicycle Trailer - BoB IBEX

Post by mercadion Sat Dec 20 2014, 12:46

How much does the added weight bog you down? Ive been thinkin about something along those lines for a while but theres a lot of hills around here and dont want to stress the motor too much, even with pedaling.

mercadion

Birthday : 1986-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabian Sat Dec 20 2014, 13:36

The extra weight does slow you down, but it's not a concern, considering you have an engine installed in the bike.

If the carburettor is jetted correctly, so that the engine receives a perfect air/fuel mixture, you do not have to worry about stressing the engine under long periods of wide open throttle.
What you do need to be concerned about is not over revving the engine. If keeping the max rpm below 4,800 and normal rpm below 4,200, the engine will live a long and happy life, no matter how hard it gets pushed.

Fabian
MxBF Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by mercadion Sun Dec 21 2014, 01:39

Lol not talkin wide open throttle on flat or mild sloaps, talkin climbing where...yes the engine will bog down regardless of your jet/carb settings.

Ever tried to pull a 8 ton trailer with a 2.5 ton truck? Yes itll do it on flat land but youll blow a head in a heartbeat when you climb...same concept, smaller package. When an engine is bogged down the RPMs actually drop below normal levels, not over reving. The dropped RPM causes more friction, which causes heat, an wham....dead head.

mercadion

Birthday : 1986-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabian Sun Dec 21 2014, 14:26

So you are saying that i should be blowing the head when i'm doing heavy haul?

https://motorizedbikeforum.forumotion.com/t393-multi-combination-bicycle-trailer-october-2013

Fabian
MxBF Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by elgallo Tue Feb 24 2015, 22:03

so Fabian hows it going with the trailer
elgallo
elgallo

Birthday : 1983-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabian Tue Feb 24 2015, 22:19

There will be no such issues as blowing the head, because it can't blow off the cylinder, even if the piston smashes into it.

What does happen over time is the aluminium head gasket compresses and becomes slightly thinner for a number of reasons.
If the cylinder head is not periodically re-torqued, the clamping pressure will be lost and the head gasket can leak, or sometimes blow out.

This problem is made worse by the foolish advise given on motorised bicycle forums to sand the face of the cylinder head flat, because then the machined lip is removed and the bite force of the cylinder head is also removed.

You will find that when using a CR Machine Manufacturing billet cylinder head, all leaks will disappear.

Fabian
MxBF Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabian Tue Feb 24 2015, 22:20

The trailer is still trucking along nicely.

Fabian
MxBF Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by elgallo Wed Feb 25 2015, 22:10

i believe that all information give is useful and holds weight, what usefulness and what the weight is made of is all discretion.
the sanding thing has worked for me in the past but its how it is done. but people are more intelligent than a dog but that does not mean that they use their god given gift of a brain.

the reason i asked about the trailer is that i am looking around to see if getting one will be lucrative for my situation. really how much weight i can get away with.
elgallo
elgallo

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabian Wed Feb 25 2015, 22:20

You can load the BoB Ibex trailer with 80 lbs if you are really keen, but it's not recommended, and especially not recommended to carry heavy weight above the frame rails, making the trailer excessively top heavy.

If you want to carry a lot of weight, then a two wheeled trailer is the best option.

https://motorizedbikeforum.forumotion.com/t393-multi-combination-bicycle-trailer-october-2013

Fabian
MxBF Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by elgallo Wed Feb 25 2015, 22:53

i wouldnt need that much weight capacity but enough to haul a few things when im out with the kids.

thanks
elgallo
elgallo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down