Motorized Bike Forum
Welcome to MotorizedBikeForum.com!

Feel free to log in, register, or just browse around and see what we're all about here at MxB Forum.

If you got help here, REGISTER and help the next guy!

If that's not enough motivation, the ads will go away when you are logged in!

If that doesn't do it for you - registering will allow you to search the forum!

Ride safe and have fun!

_DuctTapedGoat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Motorized Bike Forum
Welcome to MotorizedBikeForum.com!

Feel free to log in, register, or just browse around and see what we're all about here at MxB Forum.

If you got help here, REGISTER and help the next guy!

If that's not enough motivation, the ads will go away when you are logged in!

If that doesn't do it for you - registering will allow you to search the forum!

Ride safe and have fun!

_DuctTapedGoat
Motorized Bike Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So, I was wondering...

2 posters

Go down

So, I was wondering... Empty So, I was wondering...

Post by Chain Driven Wed Oct 23 2013, 07:07

I'm not jabbing at the forum, but I just had an inquiry for practicality and expectations... as I was poking around, I noticed it seems I'm the only one who's been here for a while (for at least 24 hours anyway, as the notifier at the bottom says at the moment)... So, how often should I check back for replies and activity in general?
The reason for asking is because usually any question I'd ask here is something I've already spend some amount of time investigating but came up with no definite answer, and I generally halt the process in question until an answer or suggestion is obtained... So, say, if people only gather here once a month, then I should probably redirect some effort to google searches... but if knowledgeable peeps visit several times a week, I could save that time and get the information straight from the willing mind, who could hopefully also give me more pointers than I would think to ask google. And second, simply as a point of expectations and curiosity.
Either way, no ill intent is cast here, just a general question. Smile
happy trails Very Happy
Chain Driven
Chain Driven

Birthday : 1982-11-05

Back to top Go down

So, I was wondering... Empty Re: So, I was wondering...

Post by Chain Driven Wed Oct 23 2013, 07:16

Oh, this section is odd Very Happy
I lost my post for a minute but realized this section lists posts in reverse order of all the other sections...
That was confusing for a moment. Does this reverse listing have a special purpose? I might go to the comments and suggestions section and suggest to turn it right side up. But wait! I just suggested it. That was convenient. Very Happy
Chain Driven
Chain Driven

Back to top Go down

Post by elgallo Thu Dec 19 2013, 21:06

I understand how you feel.
So what seems to be your problem.
Maybe I can help
elgallo
elgallo

Birthday : 1983-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Chain Driven Thu Dec 19 2013, 23:42

Most of it has been taken care of right now, its almost all together. Smile
I been asking around on another bike forum, and while it seems to be harder than pulling teeth, they finally have answered a few questions. What I have remaining are two things:

1) The teeth of the drive sprocket on the engine seem to be too close together (or too thick) for the chain to seat in it easily, the chain tends to rise up on the teeth and jam on the casting of the motor. I used a dremel to make more space in the sprocket teeth. I know there is a ring that holds it on and the sprocket is supposed to come off after removing it, but it seems to be jam-tight press fitted on there and wont budge even after prying on it, so I suppose I'm stuck with that. But if you have any suggestions, I'd love to know. Smile
Some additional info on that: I have the original chain, which people call "415" chain, and haven't made any modifications to the kit, it is all as received from the box.

2) I bought a speedometer and people on the other forum for some reason either don't know what I'm asking or just like to aggravate new people by refusing to give a direct answer - the speedometer (analog cable driven) says it is made for a 26-inch bike. I have been given the impression that a bike being called "26-inch" has nothing to do with the tire size, so I was wondering what size tires a 26-inch bike has? If the tires on a 26-inch bike are, say, 22 inches in diameter, then the tires on my bike (which apparently is not a "26-inch" bike) would be nearly right on the mark because they are approximately 22", and thus the speedo would be accurate. So if you can tell me what size tires an average "26-inch" bike has, I can do some rough calculations about what speed I'm actually going. Smile

Thanks!
Chain Driven
Chain Driven

Back to top Go down

Post by elgallo Fri Dec 20 2013, 22:21

Hey chain drive sorry for my response delay.  

As for the motor drive sprocket I would remove it and contact the place of purchase of the kit to replace it.  In the kit that came should be a pulley puller. It has two threaded sides( one side is larger than other) and a screw in the middle.
If they can't replace it you'll have to purchase another. Watch when removing for the woodruff key, dont lose it.

As for your wheel problem...
The size of the rim is not the 26inch as expected.  When the tire is mounted, from edge to edge those  size up to 26.
A '26inch bike' is technically with a rim edge to rim edge 22 inches But with a tire mounted it in fact measures 26.
For the wheel/tire question best answers wOuld come from a visit to your local bicycle shop.  Don't mention that your intentions are for a motorized bicycle, they help you if you do.

Let me know if you need anything else.

So, I was wondering... 20131220_212117_zps493a01a7
So, I was wondering... 20131220_212144_zps9969920a
elgallo
elgallo

Back to top Go down

Post by elgallo Fri Dec 20 2013, 22:23

I also put pics to help.
elgallo
elgallo

Back to top Go down

Post by Chain Driven Sat Dec 21 2013, 14:58

I see, that's a definite-purpose puller.. My kit didn't come with one, I'll have to look around on eBay or similar to see if I can find one. I have a larger 3-finger gear puller but it probably wont fit on there right. I wouldn't want to bend the teeth on the sprocket. Maybe if you don't plan on changing your drive sprocket, I could buy that tool from you? Smile
Let me know details in a PM if you'd like to do that.
Chain Driven
Chain Driven

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum